Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Car seats

I'm probably complaining to myself here but hey, so what!? We got new car seats for the girls, but lo and behold, we can't use them! I have to call and see if Grandma M. has the receipt still because the store will accept them back. The problem is that they DON'T face the rear and despite our pediatrician saying it's FINE as long as they are 20 lbs, everyone else on the planet says it isn't fine until they are 12 months old. SO, yeh stuck with carseats that cost a pretty penny and can't be used but need to be used because the girls are one pound away from the limit on their infant seats! Fun stuff.
I found one that I like, if we can swing this return. The Evenflo Titan Elite is good rearfacing up to 35 pounds and forwardfacing up to 50 pounds. While I like the IDEA of the three in ones that work from infant to like 100 pounds, we can't afford to spend over $300 on car seats at this point. We can't afford all the medical bills, let alone that at the moment. And HOPEFULLY the girls rapid weight gain will slow down and they will not be 50 pounds for a while. The Titan is only $100, which for us seems like a lot, but the ones we have now were like $70 or $80 and unusuable. And if these last long, then I guess the money is worth it. The ratings and the user reviews on the Titan are pretty positive too which is important. I just wish we didn't have to go through the whole return thing. Plus, the local stores (in a 100 mile radius) don't carry the Titan so we have to order it online if we decide to purchase it. I did a few comparisons, and ifffff Burlington Coat Factory does their multiple discount on carseats and online orders we could get 10 percent off the Titans, which they carry. If NOT, we might as well get them at Wal-Mart online because they are about the same price anyway.
I just hope that it gets easier to get the girls in and out of carseats. I feel like I'm bending their leg in half to get them into their infant carrier seats nowadays and I hate it! And when we click them intot he stroller, whoever is in back looks like they are going to have their feet squashed by the front carseat! All around crappy situation.
Then there's the issue that the stroller without the carseats in it does NOT look remotely comfortable. THe baby in front looks like she is going to fall out, the one in back is either ramrod straight or laying down! So yeh let me tell you, someeeeeetimes saving a little on the financial end is NOT worth it in the long run.
And I have to say this, I want to run our dog through with a samurai sword right now. She barks and growls at EVERY single sound and the babies are napping, finally, and she is GOING to wake them up. Darn terrier.

4 comments:

I am Arizona; a person, not a place. said...

Oh, yes...dogs and naptime do not mix. My chihuahua yelps at exactly the moment the girls are about to drop off into a nice cozy sleep. I often say the most terrible things to her, the poor thing. Yesterday I told her I'd cook her and eat her if she barked again. She looked at me like she totally understood what I said and it made me feel really bad!! lol!

Kate said...

We had a horrid episode today with the dog getting hold of a VERY poopy diaper while we were out. Came home to find it strewn across the dining room carpet. UGHHHHHHHH.

I am Arizona; a person, not a place. said...

Oh, that's so funny! But gross! Our other dog, Buddy (a Boxer), used to love to eat Luke's poop. I used cloth diapers with him and if I left the diaper bucket on the floor Buddy would go in and lick the diapers. Yuck! I can't imagine the mess a ripped up disposable makes! All that gel stuff...ick! I wish I used cloth with the girls, but it was one thing too much. I can barely keep up with the regular laundry, so I definitely wouldn't be able to keep up with washing two sets of cloth diapers!

Kate said...

Wow, cloth! I think all cloth diaper moms are so brave! I just couldn't do it. I hold my breath changing my girls and can wrap up the diaper nice and quick and say bye bye to the poopy. It's hard enough when they poop on their clothes!